Change to AW Universe Cit and World Pricing Model

Started by Hyper Anthony, June 03, 2013, 12:40:39 AM

previous topic - next topic
Go Down

Hyper Anthony

June 03, 2013, 12:40:39 AM Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 05:31:59 PM by Commie
Pulled from the AW Facebook  Group: http://pastebin.com/tmn2EhMa

TL;DR Cits will be free, world license fee is going away, world pricing is becoming cheaper, with much more capacity for users at a much lower price.  CAV Clothing/micro-transactions appears to be the new business model, on a "credits" system for micro-transactions and world purchases.  Expected changes within a few weeks.

Commie

So, what shoulda happened 2003 :D

Should this be posted in news board? :@
Hoot hoot de doo! LOL

Legion

I agree it should've happened in 2003 instead of now but you know AWI. ;) I am taking a cautious outlook on this. Whether it can attract and then sustain a large user population after those changes is an open question. It's good moves but it should be coupled with other changes later on in near future such as a new graphics engine (and better performance) and reworked interface (they still look awful and feel clunkly).
Legion, 1st Duke of Rockford

Dr. Tax, Ph.D

I like this.  It feels like a part of me is missing when my citizenship is expired. :@

Can't wait for this, actually.  I will most definitely be popping into AW on regular intervals to fart around in the city. :D
Dr. Tax, Ph. D - Mayor of SW City, Governor of Estate District... [synsuit]

Byte:      Baro bo Baro banana for Faro me my mo Maro... BARO!
Baro:      sure, ok

XgF

It makes a lot of sense, from my perspective.

Aside from the human aspect (i.e. maintanance) the operating costs can only have been dropping over the years as hardware and bandwidth have gotten cheaper. Even with an order of magnitude more players than now... the biggest factor in the ongoing running costs will be staff.

As I see it, they can take two approaches to the AW universe; either see it as an advertisement for their commercial/private offerings, or as a potential source of profit.

In the case of the former, an active and vibrant user base can only help them. In the case of the latter, a user base in terminal decline isn't exactly a good future outlook, and it's perhaps time to consider better monetization strategies.

From both perspectives this can only be a good move. Now if only they'd replace their damn rendering engine with something from the last decade...

Earendil


Goober King

Yea, this gets a resounding "meh" from me. Alls it'll do is create another temporary spike on Ferruccio's little chart before everyone says "derp it's still the same ol' AW" and go back to fighting off kamikaze shrubs or whatever the kids are doing these days.

The thing about F2P is you don't do it to bring in more people, you do it to bring in more money from the people you already have. It's not as if there are people saying to themselves "Man, I'd really love to play this game, but I just can't afford the $8/month!" If you're product is awesome enough, people will find a way to pay for it. And if you're product is awesome enough, a community will organically form around it and find ways to sustain itself. You shouldn't have to bribe a community with freebies to get them to stick around. If AWI thinks this will save their product, and if the community thinks this'll save themselves, then they're both in for another round of disappointments.

Dr. Tax, Ph.D

Quote from: Goober King on June 04, 2013, 11:50:40 AM
Yea, this gets a resounding "meh" from me. Alls it'll do is create another temporary spike on Ferruccio's little chart before everyone says "derp it's still the same ol' AW" and go back to fighting off kamikaze shrubs or whatever the kids are doing these days.

The thing about F2P is you don't do it to bring in more people, you do it to bring in more money from the people you already have. It's not as if there are people saying to themselves "Man, I'd really love to play this game, but I just can't afford the $8/month!" If you're product is awesome enough, people will find a way to pay for it. And if you're product is awesome enough, a community will organically form around it and find ways to sustain itself. You shouldn't have to bribe a community with freebies to get them to stick around. If AWI thinks this will save their product, and if the community thinks this'll save themselves, then they're both in for another round of disappointments.


I agree.  When a tree falls in the forest and no one is around, does it make a noise?  Aka this release of free citizenships.  No one around to care, basically.  But it still means we, as a city, can login every once and a while (like we do with Minecraft) and screw around in the city again instead of being completely locked out.

I hope this will boost the community, but I know, like you said, will be a small spike, then back to the status quo.
Dr. Tax, Ph. D - Mayor of SW City, Governor of Estate District... [synsuit]

Byte:      Baro bo Baro banana for Faro me my mo Maro... BARO!
Baro:      sure, ok

Hyper Anthony

Quote from: Dr. Tax, Ph.D on June 04, 2013, 07:56:12 PM
But it still means we, as a city, can login every once and a while (like we do with Minecraft) and screw around in the city again instead of being completely locked out.


This will probably be the extent of my activity, unless I get some building bug in me.  I really do miss tinkering around with SWI, even if nobody ever plays the content I put out. :p

Ferrbuttio

While the appeal of AW to us will do little to bring money to the company, do not underestimate the stupid stuff people insist on buying.  Making the program free is the least AWI can do, at this point, to justify having such an outdated, clunky piece of software.  I do not think this is so much about extracting money from people they already have.  Making AWI free will certainly bring in a lot more people who will, more likely, stick around.  There is little incentive for a 13 year old who just spent hours or weeks making permanent creations to leave the program, now.  From what I have seen, few people get ticked off because of a program being clunky, unless they have "seen the light" and have been exposed to something better.  Overall, AW is pretty unbearable for me to use, at this point, after using Second Life, Blender, and various CAD tools over more recent years.  However, for youngins who go bonkers over paying for ringtones and putting stupid spoilers on their Honda Civics, there is a high tolerance for cheap crap.  This business model of theirs might pan out in their favor.  Remember how old most of us were when we started using AW.


"I rejoice that there are owls\" - Henry David Thoreau


___
<^,^>
[`-']
-"-"-

Dr. Cee Jay PhD

I suppose I can always drop in and build some more rail from time to time
Jackson Bentley: What attracts you personally to the desert?
T.E. Lawrence: It's clean.

Legion

Quote from: Goober King on June 04, 2013, 11:50:40 AM
Yea, this gets a resounding "meh" from me. Alls it'll do is create another temporary spike on Ferruccio's little chart before everyone says "derp it's still the same ol' AW" and go back to fighting off kamikaze shrubs or whatever the kids are doing these days.

The thing about F2P is you don't do it to bring in more people, you do it to bring in more money from the people you already have. It's not as if there are people saying to themselves "Man, I'd really love to play this game, but I just can't afford the $8/month!" If you're product is awesome enough, people will find a way to pay for it. And if you're product is awesome enough, a community will organically form around it and find ways to sustain itself. You shouldn't have to bribe a community with freebies to get them to stick around. If AWI thinks this will save their product, and if the community thinks this'll save themselves, then they're both in for another round of disappointments.


Well said. I agree with all of what you said, because, well, once you take away free citizenship, credits, and waiving of world license fees from equation for this, what do you have left here? A software with shitty interface and outmoded graphics engine. I still think AWI need to do more work beyond those announced changes or else those changes will be in the vain.
Legion, 1st Duke of Rockford

beautiful dirty rich™

Quote from: Hyper Anthony on June 05, 2013, 12:58:53 AM
This will probably be the extent of my activity, unless I get some building bug in me.  I really do miss tinkering around with SWI, even if nobody ever plays the content I put out. :p


For some reason SWCity popped in my head tonight, jumped on and saw this. Now I can justify coming on every now and then despite all the reasons goobs listed above.

(I did miss the swian community thou :/)

Earendil

Long life for sw city yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Legolas

Legolas
310922

Earendil

oh hi legolas brother

hmm one day before the big day

Earendil

free citizen is arrive now on aw go on go go go

Commie

Hoot hoot de doo! LOL


Earendil

oniiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii  go to back in awin sw city for big party

OniLink


Earendil

Quote from: Dr. Cee Jay PhD on June 05, 2013, 11:18:17 PM
I suppose I can always drop in and build some more rail from time to time


or upgrade some old build

Ferrbuttio

Quote from: Earendil on June 17, 2013, 08:03:16 PM
or upgrade some old build


What would you like to see upgraded?  How would you like to see it upgraded?

Go E!


"I rejoice that there are owls\" - Henry David Thoreau


___
<^,^>
[`-']
-"-"-

Earendil

some building built with only window lol and some mountain

Commie

So you'd like to see a mountain with 1 window?
Hoot hoot de doo! LOL

Go Up