"Sim City: Fail" Video Series Tops Reddit SimCity "Hot" List

Started by SW Chris, March 16, 2013, 03:46:21 AM

previous topic - next topic
Go Down

SW Chris

A video on the SW City Youtube channel has topped the Reddit SimCity "Hot" list, taking the #1 position overnight, and has hit #32 on that page's Top list. The video details a game-breaking "bug" with the game's simulation engine that makes it nearly impossible for an unskilled individual playing the game normally to create a failed city.

Proof! http://www.swcity.net/users/chris/redditfrontpage.jpg

___
Says SW Comit:
QuoteOne big difference between Simcity and the previous games is that sims will move into, and develop plots before factoring in how they feel about the city.

In simcity 4, zones would remain as barren, empty fields if the city did not provide adequate jobs, or just in general was a terrible place to live. And this threshold of expectations would grow as the city grew, driving the player to make their city better and more well designed.

Now, all zones are developed, regardless of conditions. The sims will then later make their decision on if they'd like to stay or not, but not before forking over a few months worth of tax income! A mayor would only need to keep bulldozing abandoned buildings to exploit this behavior for as long as he'd like.

___
This behavior on the part of the game's graphic engine essentially renders the mechanic of balancing the RCI (Residential/Commercial/Industrial) demand obsolete, and implies that much of what one does in their gameplay currently has little to no effect on the total number of inhabitants that reside within their city.

Check out the video for more information:
SimCity Fail - 100% Residential Town Test in Normal Mode - Time Lapse

And check out the SW City Youtube Channel for more great content and "Let's Play" series:
http://www.youtube.com/swcitynet
[SIZE=10pt][B]SW City Admin, River District[/b][/SIZE]  [face_grin]
Leadership
"The Knights of Good is my intellectual property.  I've trademarked a logo and hope to turn it into a legitimate business someday.  Possibly a delicious breakfast cereal." --Vork

Hyper Anthony

What really impressed me about this video is that you held my attention about something that I don't necessarily care about (I've never played any SimCity games) with strong discussion points.  That's the stuff of good gaming content on YouTube, and something that I feel I'm personally weak at. I don't think I could offer worthwhile narration for more than a moment or two. :P

SW Chris

Here's the secret to Youtube content creation: Plan ahead with an outline of things to talk about. :P
[SIZE=10pt][B]SW City Admin, River District[/b][/SIZE]  [face_grin]
Leadership
"The Knights of Good is my intellectual property.  I've trademarked a logo and hope to turn it into a legitimate business someday.  Possibly a delicious breakfast cereal." --Vork

Commie

Hoot hoot de doo! LOL

GSK

Commie

Hoot hoot de doo! LOL

Dr. Tax, Ph.D

I played SimCity for the SNES, that's about it I think.  Played SimFarm and SimTower (lotta hours in both :P)
Dr. Tax, Ph. D - Mayor of SW City, Governor of Estate District... [synsuit]

Byte:      Baro bo Baro banana for Faro me my mo Maro... BARO!
Baro:      sure, ok

Earendil

i play sim city on snes with cheats and sim city on pc with cheat to lol

Legion

Quote from: Hyper Anthony on March 16, 2013, 04:39:00 AM
I've never played any SimCity games

Ant never played a SimCity?! Could've fooled me.

Quote from: Dr. Tax, Ph.D on March 22, 2013, 08:19:05 AM
I played SimCity for the SNES, that's about it I think.  Played SimFarm and SimTower (lotta hours in both :P)

:O I've played many hours on SimFarm and SimTower in the past, too, along with SimCity.

Quote from: Earendil on March 24, 2013, 06:24:47 AM
cheat

Bad E!

Oh wait, I cheated too...   [face_mischief] [think]
Legion, 1st Duke of Rockford

Go Up