April 22, 2019, 02:54:57 pm

New Updates to AW

Started by Commie, October 06, 2010, 09:00:38 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Commie

The past few builds have introduced many exciting new features to AW. We got 500m vis range, as seen below (click image for full size), timers and schedules to obsolete AA animations, and opacity commands for easier windowing and effects to obsolete dirty masks.

Hoot hoot de doo! LOL

Hyper Anthony

I'm not sure if timers are in the present build, but they're gonna be great. :D  Finally get animations to a basic command!  [birde]

SW Chris

And in one fell swoop, fully half of the Academy website is invalidated.
SW City Admin, River District  [face_grin]
Leadership
"The Knights of Good is my intellectual property.  I've trademarked a logo and hope to turn it into a legitimate business someday.  Possibly a delicious breakfast cereal." --Vork

Baro

Woah, sounds like a certain program's trying to seduce me back.
Anyone need any ore???

Ferrbuttio

I've got to sweep through so many of my old buildings with yasbb now, if it still works.

"I rejoice that there are owls\" - Henry David Thoreau

___
<^,^>
[`-']
-"-"-

Dr. Tax, Ph.D

lol holy crap that screenshot = 500m?  That's quite the distance.. :O
Dr. Tax, Ph. D - Mayor of SW City, Governor of Estate District... [synsuit]

Byte:      Baro bo Baro banana for Faro me my mo Maro... BARO!
Baro:      sure, ok

Commie

No that's 1km. It's using a camera trick to move it to the edge.
Hoot hoot de doo! LOL

Dr. Cee Jay PhD

Yay. If AWI keeps this up I might just have more than a few builds left in me after all.
Jackson Bentley: What attracts you personally to the desert?
T.E. Lawrence: It's clean.

SW Chris

Couple more 500m to 1km screenshots:

Faldon Village - 500m

James River Downtown - 500m

SW City GZ at 500m

Syntax Mansion's Cy - 500m.jpg

Yulian Front Range - 1km.jpg
Leadership
"The Knights of Good is my intellectual property.  I've trademarked a logo and hope to turn it into a legitimate business someday.  Possibly a delicious breakfast cereal." --Vork

Ferrbuttio

Here are some more high vis shots.

USS Glory

USS Glory

USS Pandora, big ol' perpetual construction zone.  The main (far) shuttlebay doors are about 450 meters away in this picture.

~900 meter vis of the Palais

___
<^,^>
[`-']
-"-"-

Commie

lol wow that last one is sweet  [ok]
Hoot hoot de doo! LOL

Commie

Syn! :@
I demand 1000m vis screenshots of your new MTNs :@
Hoot hoot de doo! LOL

AlexTheMartian

omg I had an idea, is it possible to put a camera on a mover, 500m offset from you, so you can do the camera trick at any location, even if it is not your build? If that is possible wouldn't it be possible to do 1000m videos too?
- Developing Seawing Island and SWanford University
- Founder of Moonlight Heights, AWTeen (2001-now?).
- Former AWTeen CT (aprox. 2003-2005), and Assistant CT (2007)    

AlexTheMartian

Quote from: Hyper Anthony on October 06, 2010, 09:21:03 pm
I'm not sure if timers are in the present build, but they're gonna be great. :D  Finally get animations to a basic command!  [birde]

Timers are now in the latest Beta build, released today.

Commie

Videos? lol. Even faldon desert, not being a very dense area, brings my computer to like 1 fps at 1km view :P
Hoot hoot de doo! LOL

SW Chris

Yes videos are possible on multi-core CPUs. You would have to speed it up in post, however.
Leadership

Commie

Btw how does this compare to SL? What visibility range does it sport?
Hoot hoot de doo! LOL

SW Chris

Ok now you got me thinking...
Leadership

Dr. Tax, Ph.D

Quote from: Commie on October 07, 2010, 07:01:15 pm
Syn! :@
I demand 1000m vis screenshots of your new MTNs :@

lol oh god.. my poor laptop would explode.  This thing is overheating just sitting here closed for cryin' out loud. :@
Dr. Tax, Ph. D - Mayor of SW City, Governor of Estate District... [synsuit]

Byte:      Baro bo Baro banana for Faro me my mo Maro... BARO!
Baro:      sure, ok

Ferrbuttio

Quote from: Commie on October 07, 2010, 09:13:55 pm
Btw how does this compare to SL? What visibility range does it sport?

SL supports 1024 meters, and runs quite well in superdense areas.  Around 7 fps for me O_O

___
<^,^>
[`-']
-"-"-

AlexTheMartian

Quote from: SW Chris on October 07, 2010, 09:04:25 pm
Yes videos are possible on multi-core CPUs. You would have to speed it up in post, however.

The load on a computer seems to involve RAM, not CPU, and even with the RAM it still doesn't use all available on the computer.

When I do 500m vis shots, my CPU is only at 13% (it is a quad-core CPU, but still, 13% is low), but the RAM is 1.18 GB. I have 12 GB RAM on this PC, and even if AW is not a 64bit program, it still should be able to use up to 4GB, right?

So it looks like AW has a software limitation programmed in? Because the program still does freeze up for some reason. I don't understand, is it possible the limit lies within my video card?

Commie

Nah a typical 32-bit app is only gonna be about to address somewhere around 1.8GB of RAM. Also if your quad core with hyperthreading, then you have 8 CPUs, so 13% = 100% for one. AW doesn't multithread.
Hoot hoot de doo! LOL

SW Chris

Chrispeg says AW does multithread for the parts that are not GPU-specific.  Which would include physics calculations.  But rendering and texturing would be bottlenecked by your video card.
Leadership

AlexTheMartian

October 08, 2010, 04:53:37 am #23 Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 05:07:09 am by AlexTheMartian
Ahaha thank you guys. I now understand those bottlenecks I hit were legit and not some type of bug. I didn't understand that the ram and cpu works that way. You guys are right I do have a quad-core CPU with hyperthreading (Intel Core i7 930), and 12GB or RAM with a 64-bit Windows 7 Ultimate.

I can not wait until AW can be 64-bit.

I wish I can check if I am reaching the limits of my video card, same way you can do with CPU and RAM, but I am so lost as to what is causing a limit using AW, I see DDR, VRAM, different speeds, I am SO CONFUSED. I have a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260.

RoadKill

There's more bottlenecks than you think. Ask chrispeg how occlusion queries are handled for coronas.
[but] Better Butch Beard Bureau [but]