Author Topic: AW 5.2 Preview Videos  (Read 4322 times)

Offline Commie

• SW City Productions
  • Dum Bum
    • Official SW City Website
AW 5.2 Preview Videos
« on: September 23, 2011, 09:08:39 PM »
AWI released a few new preview videos of AW 5.2, of which Syntax uploaded over to youtube for your convenience. Check them out!

I predict cataclysmic flooding in poor Alphaworld  >:D
Hoot hoot de doo! LOL

Offline Dr. Cee Jay PhD

• Builder of Ginormous Things
  • Submin Worker
  • Post No Bills
Re: AW 5.2 Preview Videos
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2011, 11:30:52 PM »
That be some cool effects. I know a few rivers and a large ocean that could benefit greatly. Any word on how much we will be able to manipulate these effects?
Jackson Bentley: What attracts you personally to the desert?
T.E. Lawrence: It's clean.

Offline Cleggy

• Holy Nougat
  • Nah
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2011, 10:30:27 AM »
Wow! That's really neat! I shall return to aw then 5.2 is released!

Offline Goober King

• Swarmy GI
  • A Fish Out of Lacquer
    • GK Studios
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2011, 09:54:14 PM »
Too bad no one will ever get to use it in AW. :P

Offline Dr. Tax, Ph.D

• S@M SN@@KS
  • SW City Productions
  • God of the Nougats
  • Shazbot!
    • SW City Website
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2011, 05:14:51 PM »
What kind of IDIOT would upload those to youtube?  WMV is the wave of the future!
Dr. Tax, Ph. D - Mayor of SW City, Governor of Estate District... [synsuit]

Byte:      Baro bo Baro banana for Faro me my mo Maro... BARO!
Baro:      sure, ok

Offline Talisan

• Nimbusian Commoner
  • Froebel's Fault
    • Darkest Destiny
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2011, 11:42:13 AM »
Uh, finally adding semi-realistic water to AW won't cause the second coming. Physics should have done that.
"Curiosity killed the cat, but the cat died satisfied." - John Shipley 10/29/2010

"Twitchy Trigger Finger Syndrome"(TTFS): when you click on something you didn't mean to click on but still do regularly. - John Shipley 12/05/2010

Free Microsoft Developer Software (http://www.dreamspark.com) for Students
Windows 7 Upgrade - $30, MS Office 2010 - $75 (http://www.microsoft.com/student)

Softly (Born:Aug 8, 2003 Died:July 23,2010 Reincarnated:June 6, 2011)

Offline Dr. Tax, Ph.D

• S@M SN@@KS
  • SW City Productions
  • God of the Nougats
  • Shazbot!
    • SW City Website
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2011, 12:38:08 PM »
A new business model might.
Dr. Tax, Ph. D - Mayor of SW City, Governor of Estate District... [synsuit]

Byte:      Baro bo Baro banana for Faro me my mo Maro... BARO!
Baro:      sure, ok

Offline Hyper Anthony

• Hyperdermic
  • SW City Productions
  • Mango Gladiator
  • rock on
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2011, 05:19:15 PM »

Offline Legion

• Crazily Insane Emu
  • The Duke of Rockford
    • Virtual Paradise Website
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2011, 01:33:50 PM »
A new business model might.

Emphasize might. While new business model thus revealed so far would be certainly be good for us, I'm concerned about how it would do to the company fiscal-wise. After all, most of their revenues comes from corporate sales but that might not last for long if economy don't pick up and they don't have another revenue stream to fall back on. If company goes belly-up, who's going to buy Active Worlds itself? Google? I don't think so. :p

P.S. Well, Lucky Sevens might. Har har.
Legion, 1st Duke of Rockford

Offline Talisan

• Nimbusian Commoner
  • Froebel's Fault
    • Darkest Destiny
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2011, 03:55:34 PM »
Emphasize might. While new business model thus revealed so far would be certainly be good for us, I'm concerned about how it would do to the company fiscal-wise. After all, most of their revenues comes from corporate sales but that might not last for long if economy don't pick up and they don't have another revenue stream to fall back on. If company goes belly-up, who's going to buy Active Worlds itself? Google? I don't think so. :p

P.S. Well, Lucky Sevens might. Har har.

Um, are these "corporate sales" real? We've been hearing this repeated over and over for quite some time, and I'd like to know who these companies("People") are that are making Rick and JP rich while they mostly ignore their main universe and users. These companies are myth-like, the saviors of our existence. I remember that IBM was a customer once, are they still? I also have to wonder what a company like IBM would be doing with an AW universe of their own, especially since IBM has been doing some restructuring over the years, spinning off its hardware to other companies/startups/etc.
"Curiosity killed the cat, but the cat died satisfied." - John Shipley 10/29/2010

"Twitchy Trigger Finger Syndrome"(TTFS): when you click on something you didn't mean to click on but still do regularly. - John Shipley 12/05/2010

Windows 7 Upgrade - $30, MS Office 2010 - $75 (http://www.microsoft.com/student)

Offline Legion

• Crazily Insane Emu
  • The Duke of Rockford
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2011, 05:54:36 PM »

Um, are these "corporate sales" real? We've been hearing this repeated over and over for quite some time, and I'd like to know who these companies("People") are that are making Rick and JP rich while they mostly ignore their main universe and users. These companies are myth-like, the saviors of our existence. I remember that IBM was a customer once, are they still? I also have to wonder what a company like IBM would be doing with an AW universe of their own, especially since IBM has been doing some restructuring over the years, spinning off its hardware to other companies/startups/etc.

For the purpose here, "corporate sales" is not just selling to corporate customers but ALSO to the educational institutions.

Also, there's no telling how much revenues the main universe produces for the company but I highly doubt it's enough to cover the company's payrolls and expenses completely so there have to be some money coming from elsewhere. Corporate sales as defined above is one of those possibilities.

Offline Talisan

• Nimbusian Commoner
  • Froebel's Fault
    • Darkest Destiny
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2011, 06:24:08 PM »
I have tried to get 2 of my professors to use AW in their programs without any luck.

One was just too involved in SL to be convinced of a look. The other saw AWGATE and then balked. She thought the world was prettyish(no bells or whistles), but empty, and she had little idea of what to do. She never gave me the opportunity to show her, she went in on her own. She's a Computer Science teacher, and this convinces me that AWGATE is the wrong place to send people. There absolutely needs to be a tutorial world(or built in tutorial), similar to how SL does it, that teaches someone to use the interface and evinces the positives and activities of the program.

Offline Legion

• Crazily Insane Emu
  • The Duke of Rockford
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2011, 08:00:31 PM »
I have tried to get 2 of my professors to use AW in their programs without any luck.

One was just too involved in SL to be convinced of a look. The other saw AWGATE and then balked. She thought the world was prettyish(no bells or whistles), but empty, and she had little idea of what to do. She never gave me the opportunity to show her, she went in on her own. She's a Computer Science teacher, and this convinces me that AWGATE is the wrong place to send people. There absolutely needs to be a tutorial world(or built in tutorial), similar to how SL does it, that teaches someone to use the interface and evinces the positives and activities of the program.

That was already argued on AW forum but AWI is still hardbent on keeping AWGate as the entry point for new visitors despite all arguments to the contrary.

Offline Ferrbuttio

• Official Owl Keeper
  • SW City Productions
  • SW City Sewage Cleaner
  • party joke
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2011, 08:28:16 PM »
Look into Second Life, guys.  I'm amazed that everyone here is missing out on the opportunity :P

Give it more of a chance than immediate dismissal as not being close enough to AW to be likable.

"I rejoice that there are owls\" - Henry David Thoreau

___
<^,^>
[`-']
-"-"-

Offline ʗαртдɨɳ ṂД ɱїкє

• Friendly Forum Capitalist
  • SW City Productions
  • God of the Nougats
  • Shiggity Shig
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2011, 01:38:08 PM »
Water effects are neat but they look like they're the replacement for world water, and won't be anything we can just plop into the world where we need it.
-Governor, Palm District
Martin:   it's not the size of your pixel, it's what you do with it

Michaelsep

AW 5 2 Preview Videos
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2014, 12:01:35 AM »
I am looking forward to seeing them  By putting videos of your situation in the US that lead you abroad more and more people will see there is a way out of the social isolation here in the US.