Author Topic: Change to AW Universe Cit and World Pricing Model  (Read 10511 times)

Offline Hyper Anthony

• Hyperdermic
  • SW City Productions
  • Mango Gladiator
  • rock on
Change to AW Universe Cit and World Pricing Model
« on: June 02, 2013, 11:40:39 PM »
Pulled from the AW Facebook  Group: http://pastebin.com/tmn2EhMa

TL;DR Cits will be free, world license fee is going away, world pricing is becoming cheaper, with much more capacity for users at a much lower price.  CAV Clothing/micro-transactions appears to be the new business model, on a "credits" system for micro-transactions and world purchases.  Expected changes within a few weeks.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 04:31:59 PM by Commie »

Offline Commie

• SW City Productions
  • Dum Bum
    • Official SW City Website
Re: Change to AW Universe Cit and World Pricing Model
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2013, 03:53:23 PM »
So, what shoulda happened 2003 :D

Should this be posted in news board? :@
Hoot hoot de doo! LOL

Offline Legion

• Crazily Insane Emu
  • The Duke of Rockford
    • Virtual Paradise Website
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2013, 04:42:58 PM »
I agree it should've happened in 2003 instead of now but you know AWI. ;) I am taking a cautious outlook on this. Whether it can attract and then sustain a large user population after those changes is an open question. It's good moves but it should be coupled with other changes later on in near future such as a new graphics engine (and better performance) and reworked interface (they still look awful and feel clunkly).
Legion, 1st Duke of Rockford

Offline Dr. Tax, Ph.D

• S@M SN@@KS
  • SW City Productions
  • God of the Nougats
  • Shazbot!
    • SW City Website
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2013, 06:46:48 PM »
I like this.  It feels like a part of me is missing when my citizenship is expired. :@

Can't wait for this, actually.  I will most definitely be popping into AW on regular intervals to fart around in the city. :D
Dr. Tax, Ph. D - Mayor of SW City, Governor of Estate District... [synsuit]

Byte:      Baro bo Baro banana for Faro me my mo Maro... BARO!
Baro:      sure, ok

Offline XgF

• Nimbusian Commoner
  • The one who occasionally walks by
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2013, 08:03:48 PM »
It makes a lot of sense, from my perspective.

Aside from the human aspect (i.e. maintanance) the operating costs can only have been dropping over the years as hardware and bandwidth have gotten cheaper. Even with an order of magnitude more players than now... the biggest factor in the ongoing running costs will be staff.

As I see it, they can take two approaches to the AW universe; either see it as an advertisement for their commercial/private offerings, or as a potential source of profit.

In the case of the former, an active and vibrant user base can only help them. In the case of the latter, a user base in terminal decline isn't exactly a good future outlook, and it's perhaps time to consider better monetization strategies.

From both perspectives this can only be a good move. Now if only they'd replace their damn rendering engine with something from the last decade...

Offline Earendil

• The Big Easy
  • Sand Nougat
  • the best sw city guide tour
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2013, 08:30:00 PM »
yes nice news yessssssssssssssss

Offline Goober King

• Swarmy GI
  • A Fish Out of Lacquer
    • GK Studios
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2013, 10:50:40 AM »
Yea, this gets a resounding "meh" from me. Alls it'll do is create another temporary spike on Ferruccio's little chart before everyone says "derp it's still the same ol' AW" and go back to fighting off kamikaze shrubs or whatever the kids are doing these days.

The thing about F2P is you don't do it to bring in more people, you do it to bring in more money from the people you already have. It's not as if there are people saying to themselves "Man, I'd really love to play this game, but I just can't afford the $8/month!" If you're product is awesome enough, people will find a way to pay for it. And if you're product is awesome enough, a community will organically form around it and find ways to sustain itself. You shouldn't have to bribe a community with freebies to get them to stick around. If AWI thinks this will save their product, and if the community thinks this'll save themselves, then they're both in for another round of disappointments.

Offline Dr. Tax, Ph.D

• S@M SN@@KS
  • SW City Productions
  • God of the Nougats
  • Shazbot!
    • SW City Website
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2013, 06:56:12 PM »
Yea, this gets a resounding "meh" from me. Alls it'll do is create another temporary spike on Ferruccio's little chart before everyone says "derp it's still the same ol' AW" and go back to fighting off kamikaze shrubs or whatever the kids are doing these days.

The thing about F2P is you don't do it to bring in more people, you do it to bring in more money from the people you already have. It's not as if there are people saying to themselves "Man, I'd really love to play this game, but I just can't afford the $8/month!" If you're product is awesome enough, people will find a way to pay for it. And if you're product is awesome enough, a community will organically form around it and find ways to sustain itself. You shouldn't have to bribe a community with freebies to get them to stick around. If AWI thinks this will save their product, and if the community thinks this'll save themselves, then they're both in for another round of disappointments.

I agree.  When a tree falls in the forest and no one is around, does it make a noise?  Aka this release of free citizenships.  No one around to care, basically.  But it still means we, as a city, can login every once and a while (like we do with Minecraft) and screw around in the city again instead of being completely locked out.

I hope this will boost the community, but I know, like you said, will be a small spike, then back to the status quo.
Dr. Tax, Ph. D - Mayor of SW City, Governor of Estate District... [synsuit]

Byte:      Baro bo Baro banana for Faro me my mo Maro... BARO!
Baro:      sure, ok

Offline Hyper Anthony

• Hyperdermic
  • SW City Productions
  • Mango Gladiator
  • rock on
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2013, 11:58:53 PM »
But it still means we, as a city, can login every once and a while (like we do with Minecraft) and screw around in the city again instead of being completely locked out.

This will probably be the extent of my activity, unless I get some building bug in me.  I really do miss tinkering around with SWI, even if nobody ever plays the content I put out. :p

Offline Ferrbuttio

• Official Owl Keeper
  • SW City Productions
  • SW City Sewage Cleaner
  • party joke
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2013, 04:01:56 PM »
While the appeal of AW to us will do little to bring money to the company, do not underestimate the stupid stuff people insist on buying.  Making the program free is the least AWI can do, at this point, to justify having such an outdated, clunky piece of software.  I do not think this is so much about extracting money from people they already have.  Making AWI free will certainly bring in a lot more people who will, more likely, stick around.  There is little incentive for a 13 year old who just spent hours or weeks making permanent creations to leave the program, now.  From what I have seen, few people get ticked off because of a program being clunky, unless they have "seen the light" and have been exposed to something better.  Overall, AW is pretty unbearable for me to use, at this point, after using Second Life, Blender, and various CAD tools over more recent years.  However, for youngins who go bonkers over paying for ringtones and putting stupid spoilers on their Honda Civics, there is a high tolerance for cheap crap.  This business model of theirs might pan out in their favor.  Remember how old most of us were when we started using AW.

"I rejoice that there are owls\" - Henry David Thoreau

___
<^,^>
[`-']
-"-"-

Offline Dr. Cee Jay PhD

• Builder of Ginormous Things
  • Submin Worker
  • Post No Bills
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2013, 10:18:17 PM »
I suppose I can always drop in and build some more rail from time to time
Jackson Bentley: What attracts you personally to the desert?
T.E. Lawrence: It's clean.

Offline Legion

• Crazily Insane Emu
  • The Duke of Rockford
    • Virtual Paradise Website
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2013, 06:34:44 PM »

Well said. I agree with all of what you said, because, well, once you take away free citizenship, credits, and waiving of world license fees from equation for this, what do you have left here? A software with shitty interface and outmoded graphics engine. I still think AWI need to do more work beyond those announced changes or else those changes will be in the vain.
Legion, 1st Duke of Rockford

Offline beautiful dirty rich™

• Nimbusian Commoner
  • u been vewwy norty!
    • Palmont City
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2013, 07:36:17 AM »
This will probably be the extent of my activity, unless I get some building bug in me.  I really do miss tinkering around with SWI, even if nobody ever plays the content I put out. :p

For some reason SWCity popped in my head tonight, jumped on and saw this. Now I can justify coming on every now and then despite all the reasons goobs listed above.

(I did miss the swian community thou :/)

Offline Earendil

• The Big Easy
  • Sand Nougat
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2013, 09:41:38 PM »
Long life for sw city yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Offline Legolas

• Crazily Insane Emu
  • Back From The Dead
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2013, 12:03:09 PM »
One word: Finally!
Legolas

Offline Earendil

• The Big Easy
  • Sand Nougat
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2013, 07:13:22 PM »
oh hi legolas brother

hmm one day before the big day

Offline Earendil

• The Big Easy
  • Sand Nougat
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2013, 08:05:27 PM »
free citizen is arrive now on aw go on go go go

Offline Commie

• SW City Productions
  • Dum Bum
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2013, 11:06:26 PM »
Classic E :D
Hoot hoot de doo! LOL

OniLink

« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2013, 03:23:30 PM »
O_O

Offline Earendil

• The Big Easy
  • Sand Nougat
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2013, 06:24:01 PM »
oniiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii  go to back in awin sw city for big party

OniLink

« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2013, 01:21:21 AM »
oniiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii  go to back in awin sw city for big party

Oh.

Offline Earendil

• The Big Easy
  • Sand Nougat
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2013, 07:03:16 PM »
I suppose I can always drop in and build some more rail from time to time

or upgrade some old build

Offline Ferrbuttio

• Official Owl Keeper
  • SW City Productions
  • SW City Sewage Cleaner
  • party joke
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2013, 12:11:03 AM »
or upgrade some old build

What would you like to see upgraded?  How would you like to see it upgraded?

Go E!

"I rejoice that there are owls\" - Henry David Thoreau

___
<^,^>
[`-']
-"-"-

Offline Earendil

• The Big Easy
  • Sand Nougat
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2013, 12:20:27 AM »
some building built with only window lol and some mountain

Offline Commie

• SW City Productions
  • Dum Bum
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2013, 01:49:34 AM »
So you'd like to see a mountain with 1 window?
Hoot hoot de doo! LOL